Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Independence Day and Independence

It's a bit late for me to be writing about my weekend, but I'm doing it anyway.
My mother wanted desperately to go to the beach, so I had her take two friends and myself there Sunday. We had a pretty good time lying out in the sun and wading in the lake. Courtney and I were too apprehensive to go under, though. I had been to that beach many times as a child, but I didn't trust the water enough to touch my face. Besides, I didn't quite feel like redoing my eyeliner later. Instead, I floated about on an inner tube along with Jasmine, while Courtney was forced to make sure we didn't hit anyone. At around five p.m. we left the beach to go eat some grilled hot dogs, burgers, and corn at my house. My mother had asked if I wanted steaks and chicken, but I suggested we have an American meal on the holiday. Once we finished eating we wanted to see some fireworks, but unfortunately the fireworks show at the beach we were at that day had happened the night before, and all the other fireworks shows in our area had already happened except for one set that day, which was canceled. After looking it up online I discovered the closet one available to us was about 40 minutes away. Being spoiled my parents still took us there after I took a quick shower...er, a quick shower for me. Unfortunately, there was no exact address on the website and we ended up at a park with the same name, but 20 miles away, a fact we only discovered after my dad asked some local people. Somehow we made it just in time, and I am sure glad we did.

The show was amazing. We had a nice spot right in front of the boat that launched the fireworks by sitting on the edge of the boardwalk with our feet dangling in the water. Since this was on a river the fireworks were quit close. The fireworks displayed were also beautiful, and in the end my mother was glad for the drive. I picked up on that from the fact she was constantly exclaiming how pretty the fireworks were as they were going off. When the show finally ended we had to find my dad since he dropped us off while he found a parking spot. His directions were horrible, but he was by an elephant ears stand. Being the fatty I am, and loving carnival food so much, I ended up getting us some. It was delicious. Ont eh way home we took a more scenic route to see the beautiful homes. We dropped Courtney off and took Jasmine to my house to spend the night since my mother wanted to go to the beach again the next day. Jasmine fell asleep, but I stood up to watch Funny People, which was very realistic so I enjoyed it.

Monday was scorching with temperatures reaching int he 100s (that's about 37°C), but since we went to a beach on the same river we saw fireworks from it was easy to cool off. This beach was new to us, but we all liked it. The water was colder and had a strong current, but it was perfect for the day. The beach was also very clean and the water was beautiful blue. The only problem was the shoreline was full of rocks that dug into your feet, and the area was mainly full of rednecks and Arabs, something that just made me, a suburban girl, a tad apprehensive. I got used this quite easily, though, and the scenery was gorgeous. On the beach was a cute little lighthouse, and we weren't far from the Blue Water Bridge. In the end I had a great time and got a nice tan without burning.

After the beach we let Jasmine go home to change her clothes and then went since I complained about not having a shower. We spent the evening at my cousins were I saw my grandmother, who my brother and dad went to see yesterday and is currently over. As I said before in this blog, she's a stalker.

Sadly, my weekend wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. On Saturday my brother was talking about how in another year he'd be gone, and my mother basically said he couldn't live on his own. I believe she said this to keep him home, but I am not denying it will be very difficult even with the military paying for his schooling and the $27,000 he would be receiving from them after next summer. Anyway, this statement angered my brother and he went inside, slamming the screen. My father got upset and yelled at him to not slam doors, but my brother slammed it again saying, "I'll slam whatever the f*** I want." My dad then became very angry at his recent disrespect and a-hole behavior, saying he's kicking him out. Naturally, as I told my father, this was only said in anger. My brother took the note my father slipped on his door a little to seriously, though. He'll never admit it, but I heard it in his voice. That incident just farther strained their relationship, though, and now neither stays n the same room together. I certainty see where my brother is coming from, as I myself do not like my father, but his nervousness about the fact he's disqualified from the military for a heart murmur he doesn't have is really taking a toll. Obviously he doesn't have a heart murmur, but he must go back and prove he doesn't, and for some reason the test results haven't been received yet. Anyway, it's making this house pretty awkward.

Currently it's storming with the sun out, complimenting this recent weekend perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment